Job Title: Male Minister of Religion (Alim) (Fluent in English, Arabic and Farsi)
Salary: £21, 000.00 per annum (40-hour week)
Position Type: Permanent Full-Time
Employer: Hyderi Islamic Centre
Location: London, UK
Start date: 1st November 2015
Originally founded in 1983 to serve the local Shia Ithna-Asheri Muslim community who had emigrated from East Africa (the “Khoja Shia Ithna-Asheri” community), Hyderi Islamic Centre is a vibrant organisation based in London, UK. Through our ever-growing relationships with our neighbours and social, community and political organisations, we are now an integral part of the local community, conveying Islam as a faith that is not only peaceful, but also positively cohesive and beneficial to the wider British society.
In catering for the for the religious needs of the local community with daily evening prayers and weekly supplications and lectures on Thursday nights, our centre also hosts regular events to celebrate and commemorate events pursuant to the Islamic calendar including the holy months of Ramadhan, Muharram, Safar and the festivities of Eid. Additional facilities for community members include:
- Hyderi Nursery, a daily childcare for under 5’s;
- Hyderi Senior Citizens’ Association which holds weekly activities, including health talks and excursions both locally and overseas;
- Hyderi Islamic School, a Saturday school providing Islamic education for children aged between 5-18, with GCSE and A-level qualifications in Islamic Studies as part of its curriculum;
- Hyderi Sports teams, who meet weekly and also partake in national and international tournaments.
In pursuing our objectives we seek a full-time male Minister of Religion (i.e. Alim) fluent in English, Arabic and Farsi to lead the community in the religious rites; rituals; prayers; education and counselling of the community. The post will attract a gross salary of £21, 000.00 per annum on the premise of a 40-hour working week.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Leading the congregation in performing the rites and rituals of the Shia Ithna-Asheri Muslim faith including the leading of the congregation in prayers;
- Leading marriages, funerals and other special services pursuant to the Shia Ithna-Asheri Muslim Faith;
- Preaching to the congregation the essentials of the creed of the Shia Ithna-Asheri Muslim Faith through regular lectures and seminars;
- Provision of religious education pertaining to the creed of the Shia Itha-Asheri Muslim faith for youth (including the Hyderi Islamic School) and adults;
- Attending religious gatherings on behalf of the community;
- Representing the organisation on request of the Hyderi Islamic Centre as religious representative with external bodies;
- Participating in inter-faith meetings held by the community;
- Offering counselling and welfare support to members of the congregation;
- Recruiting, training and co-ordinating work of volunteers and lay preachers at the centre;
- Enrolling and attending appropriate courses which the organisation considers will assist the Minister of Religion to improve the manner in which he carries out his duty;
- To deliver the above services in English (Level B2 of the Common European Framework Reference with an approved Home Office test provider) as well as be fluent in Arabic and Farsi;
- Engagement in Continuing Professional Development (CPD) activities.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
The role is at graduate level and applicants must possess a traditional Islamic education and be qualified as an Islamic Alim (i.e. Minister of Religion) with expertise in the Shia Itha Asheri Muslim faith. Applicants must also possess the following skills:
- Fluent in both English (Level B2 of the Common European Framework Reference with an approved Home Office test provider), Arabic and Farsi
- Fully IT conversant including Microsoft Office
- Have good administrative and organisational skills
- Work logically and systematically
- Be able to work under pressure and on your own initiative
- Ability to prioritise and to cope with multiple tasks
- Have excellent leadership skills
- Have excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Have excellent diplomatic and negotiation skills
- Have excellent organisational skills
HOW TO APPLY
- All applicants must confirm their national identity by sending a copy of the bio data page of their current national passport. If the applicant is currently in the UK as a non-UK national they must in addition to the bio data page of their current national passport also provide evidence of their current UK immigration status either by providing a copy of the visa in their passport or a copy of both sides of their current UK Biometric Residence Permit.
- Please email your CV to DR. SARFRAZ JERAJ, President of the Hyderi Islamic Centre at email@example.com
- CLOSING DATE FOR ALL APPLICATIONS is 1st October 2015.
Hyderi Islamic Centre, 26 Estreham Road, London, SW16 5PQ